12.04.2013

Humility

I remember this one time in 2nd grade when my teacher was reading aloud "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." I liked that book, but I can't tell you anything that happened to Alexander. I do remember that when my teacher got to the word "part" in a sentence, she misspoke and said "fart" instead.

Today I had one of those moments.

I have this weird stool that mysteriously appeared one day in my classroom. It's cushy on top and has strange legs, and if you don't sit on it just right, it tips over. I also have a bad habit of propping my knee on things, which isn't very lady-like. When I propped my knee on the stool, the stool and I tipped over. After a brief encounter with the Christmas tree, I landed on all fours. It was painful and hysterical.

We had a hard time concentrating on the lesson from that point on.

I don't care, because my kids know that I'm a real person, and that I can laugh at myself when I do something silly. Eighteen years from now, I hope they're still telling this story.

The end.

No comments: