4.01.2013

Sovereignty and Cookies

sovereign: (adj.) possessing supreme or ultimate power

I've been reading a book -- shocker, I know -- and it's been generally good. I say "generally" because I found one serious problem right away: the author asserts that there is one area of our lives, a big one that happens to be the topic of this book, where God is not absolutely sovereign. He offers wisdom about making a good decision, but as long as we don't screw up too much, God leaves us to pretty much do what we want here. In this decision that will affect every aspect of our lives, for the rest of our lives, God has no specific plan in mind. He leaves the details to us.


On an ordinary Saturday evening, after discussing with some friends why we all disagree with the author, my roommate and I walked to a local sandwich shop. The stand next door that sells chips and soda was strangely closed, so we walked a little farther to the corner market. On the way there we discussed the cool weather, the couples we passed, and my favorite cookies that I've never found in a store within walking distance. But what do you think I saw the moment I stepped in the market? That's right, my cookies. Then I saw our favorite hard-to-find chocolate, and right beside that was my favorite hard-to-find tea. Small things, I know, but you have to admit: the timing was just right.


So what about this God who doesn't involve Himself with the details?




God, who "does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What have you done?'" (Daniel 4:35)

God, whose "sovereignty rules over all," who "works all things after the counsel of His will." (Psalm 103:19, Philippians 1:11)

God, who is "at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

God, who calls us His "workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)

God, who is "intimately acquainted with all my ways," who had "written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." (Psalm 139:3, 16)

God, who knows the planning mind of man, but who Himself "directs his steps." (Proverbs 16:9)

God, who takes responsibility for every fallen sparrow, and calls us even "more valuable than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29)

God, who is "near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth." (Psalm 145:18)

God, who put on flesh and let Himself take our punishment for being everything He isn't so we can know and become more like who He is.

God, who in His infinite, eternal, all-knowing, creative, directive power chooses to involve Himself in the lives of men. God, who knew where to find those cookies.

This God... I don't want Him to leave the details to me. I don't want Him to trust me that much; I want instead to trust Him that much. 
"The Lord will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting; do not forsake the works of Your hands." -Psalm 138:8

No comments: