11.20.2016

Spike!

Back in September, after much begging and pouting and pleading, I finally convinced Dani that NOW IS THE TIME! We NEED a puppy! 

Now, I know it may seem silly to pray about a dog... But I really wanted this to happen. So I asked God that, if it's meant for us to have a dog, He would help us find just the right puppy for us. With school having just started, I would be gone until around 2:00 every afternoon, so I wasn't sure how we would handle training. We also really wanted a Yorkie, since I know from my parents' Yorkie that they are good with kids and don't shed. But what were the chances of us finding a Yorkie that wasn't a tiny puppy? Nobody raises a Yorkie and then gets rid of it, right?

When we started to search local classified ads, guess what we found? A 6-month-old Yorkie, already partially potty-trained, whose owner was moving to Austria and really needed to find him a new home. Perfect! 


He is absolutely the sweetest puppy I've ever seen! Sometimes I'm convinced he's actually smiling. Aside from just being the cutest thing ever, I love how friendly he is. He has forced me to get out and go for walks more often, and to learn to talk to strangers. 


We live beside a river, and there are many older people who sit outside in the afternoons on the benches that line the sidewalk. Spike seems to have a special talent for finding the ones who need a little bit of joy -- he goes straight up to them and demands attention! I love to see how happy they are to pick him up and cuddle him, and it gives me an opportunity to talk with and encourage them. It's become one of my favorite things to do in the afternoon. 

So I guess I've become one of those people who gushes over their animals. I think we make a pretty good team!


No comments: