6.29.2009

oh, mi cuerpo... trup meu... my body...

Well, I have officially been sick in a foreign country. My body got very angry about something I ate yesterday, probably too many cabbage rolls or something. Fortunately no doctor's visit was in order, or at least I hope not. I shouldn't speak too soon, I guess. I don't think I have ever hurt so badly in my whole life. All over. NOT fun. Had a pretty high fever for a while this afternoon, but it's gone down now and I feel much better. So after sleeping all day and not eating... I'm wide awake and hungry! Grandma won't let me eat anything but crackers, rice, and toast because she doesn't want me to make myself sick. again. I'm praying that tomorrow I'll still feel ok so I can eat real food. You know I like to eat.

I told you I was going to a wedding last weekend, so I guess I'll tell you about that experience. Think about the longest wedding you've ever been to. How long was it? The ceremony was probably an hour, right? And the reception, well, you left when you got ready to leave. Not here. A typical wedding ceremony lasts 2-3 hours, and the reception consists of the traditional meal served at a rate of one course per hour. After the second course there is a break. But this was a short wedding, only about an hour and a half, so by the time we ate and everything we were only there about 6 1/2 hours. It was interesting, though. I liked that in the ceremony (which included two sermons) the pastors who spoke prayed over the couple, with the bride and groom on their knees. It was really neat. They used Ephesians chapter 5 for what I guess you would call the vows. I liked that, too. They have a funny tradition at the reception. At some point the bride is "stolen" and taken somewhere so the groom has to find her and pay a ransom to get her back. This time she just went to the church office, but there was a story about one bride who was taken to the grocery store downtown. To get her back the groom had to pay for the food she had picked out after making his declaration of love over the intercom. I thought that was pretty funny.

We're halfway through our two weeks at Surduc (not Surduk, like I spelled it before). I will post more about that later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you being sick :-( Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Stephanie Tanner

Kristin Sickling said...

I'm praying for you! Hope you are fully recovered and ready to go!
Love you lots,
Mrs. Kristin

Anonymous said...

Sick? Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!!

MKL

Julie said...

I'm enjoying your blog! Hope you're better. Love to you and "Grandma"
Julie

Anonymous said...

I'm sad that I'm just now discovering this blog, but I love reading your stories. How blessed they are to have you among them! :) Love you a ton!